The tower of Independence Hall
I bet most of you didn't know that. I didn't either until I took a tour of Independence Hall today where the Declaration of Independence was signed as well as the Constitution. It is pretty amazing that I got to be in the same building that those documents were signed. I can't even begin to imagine the men that spent their time there creating the foundation for the United States that we all know today.
What is even more amazing is that fact that we were in the building at 4 o'clock today. The exact time when the Constitution of the United States was signed, two hundred and twenty one years ago. Our National Park ranger/guide casually mentioned that 221 years ago at 4 o'clock the Constitution was signed, like it didn't have significance. Our tour started at 3:30 so I knew it was probably close to 4 and sure enough Nate checked his phone and it was. I don't think the ranger knew what time it was, but for those of us that did I think it gave us all the chills.
This is the first home of the US Supreme Court
This is were the Constitution was signed
Our tour guide
Earlier in the day we had continued our food tour of the US by having Philly Cheesesteaks from Tony Jrs. We had the traditional style with cheese whiz. (Yes, they still make cheese whiz.) The sandwiches were delicious, just as we expected.
The Philly Cheesesteaks
We also went and viewed the Liberty Bell while we were in Philadelphia. The history of the bell is pretty amazing. It has been a symbol of so many important movements in US history. Not only our independence but also the womens right to vote and the civil rights movement.
No comments:
Post a Comment