Lacey: "Hannah and I have decided to be vegan for a month"
Me: "You're doing what??" "Seriously?"
I was shocked when my friends Lacey and Hannah decided to try being Vegan for a month while I was staying with them in Portland. When they first told me my initial reaction was 'what are you going to eat?' I had the impression that being vegan limited your food choices drastically.
I was wrong though. If you are vegan you can't eat any animal byproducts. Pretty much you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, which isn't bad. You also have to be careful about the bread and pasta you eat to make sure that it doesn't contain egg or milk. Checking to make sure those ingredients aren't in whatever you're buying is really the hardest part of the lifestyle.
Monday night I helped the girls find vegan recipes and then we went grocery shopping. It was fun wandering around Trader Joe's and Freddies looking for soy based products and trying to decide which ones would be better. It was one of those situations where you realize how much brands influence your shopping habits. Everyone is so used to buying the same type of cheese, milk and bread at the grocery store that when you have to switch to a whole new product like soy milk that you know nothing about its hard. Do you buy Soy Dream, or Rice Milk, or one of the other 5 types of soy milk? Its hard to decide than you would think.
Tuesday was day one of vegan month for Hannah and Lacey, or in my case, the 24 hours of veganism. It started with chocolate soy milk in my coffee. For lunch we made bean burritos with soy cheese and these lavash bread things that look like tortillas. I missed the vegan dinner the girls made because I had to fly back to work in San Antonio. I bet it was yummy.
Now I'm in San Antonio eating Tex-Mex, which definitely doesn't qualify was vegan. However it is delicious. Adam, Lyndsay and I enjoyed puffy tacos and margaritas for lunch yesterday and we're going to get some more Tex-Mex for lunch before we do set up today.
Ok enough blogging about food and being vegan. Adios!
No comments:
Post a Comment