Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 1 in the City

After Washington DC we headed to New York City. The drive was gorgeous. The trees are still changing colors here on the east coast. The reds are so vibrant. It makes driving more scenic thats for sure. 


We went to Morristown, New Jersey to stay before we went into the city on Wednesday to set up for the marathon expo. We had Tuesday off so Adam and I took the train into the city for some sightseeing. It was a rainy, cold day. Not the ideal day for sightseeing but oh well. I had done some research online the night before I read about a sample sale that was happening. It turned out that it was close to Penn Station where the train dropped us off so I decided to check it out. I went to the address and took an elevator to the 16th floor with two other girls. We had to wait in the hallway before we were let in the room. 

The line into the sample sale

When I got into the room I was a little overwhelmed. I was surrounded by brand-crazy women. They all wanted these Kooba purses. They are originally $600, but they were marked down to $195. Its a good deal relatively, but I still didn't want to spend that much on a purse. I thought about buying my sister a present since she would have loved one but I'm not that nice of a sister (sorry Jen!). Anyways, it was an interesting way to start my morning. 

The handbag madness

After the sample sale I went into Macy's flagship store to get out of the rain. Its so big. I couldn't believe the amount of clothes, shoes, bags, makeup, and perfume that there was. Its overwhelming.

Inside of Macy's... 150 years

The rain had let up when I left Macy's so I decided to walk uptown to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was a pretty walk, even on a cloudy, ugly day. 



It took me a while to walk to the Met. Macy's is close to 36th, and the Met is on 81st. I got there though. I took lots of pictures which I'm just going to post here and let you all peruse. 

The steps of the Met

Futurism

To make this the artist painted the canvas black and scratched the paint off

A Jackson Pollock

Sometimes I really don't understand modern art

I love how thick the paint is

A pretty Monet


I liked the lighting in this painting



The main hall of the Met, crowded with tourists on a rainy day

More modern art

Read the placard on this work below... does anyone think some art will result from our current economic crisis? I do!


Well those were some of the highlights of my tour of the Met. I skipped the Asian and Islamic art this trip. I didn't have the attention span to look at lots of pottery. Maybe some day it will have more significance, and thereby be more interesting to me. I loved what I did see though. From there I took the Subway back down to Penn Station to meet Adam. I was nervous about riding the New York subway, you always hear bad things about it, but it was pretty easy and it wasn't scary. 

The Subway

Once I made it to Penn Station I met up with Adam and we took the train back to New Jersey....

No comments:

 

Hit Counter